OBEY YOUR ELDERS
Sunday Morning: June 4, 2000
Read: Hebrews 13:7-17
Text: 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 "And we beseech you, brethren, to know [observe] them which labour [toil, be wearied among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish [warn by instruction] you;
13. And to esteem [regard] them very highly [beyond measure]in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves."
Acts 20:17 “And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders [presbuterov, presbyter] of the church.”
1 Timothy 5:17 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. "
Ephesians 4:11-14 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Acts 6:4 "But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word."
12. For the perfecting (furnishing) of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying [building] of the body of Christ:
13. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge [epignwsiv, exact knowledge] of the Son of God, unto a perfect (of full age) man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
14. That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;"
2 Timothy 4:2-5 "Preach the word; be instant [at hand, ready] in season [in time of need], out of season; reprove [convict], rebuke [censure or admonish], exhort with all longsuffering [patience] and doctrine [instruction].
3. For the time will come when they (ruling over the elders) will not endure [put up with] sound [healthy, not sick] doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap [seek] to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry."
James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
Hebrews 13:17 "Obey (their counsel from the Word of God) them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves (to hearing their counsel from the Word of God): for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."
THOSE WHO OBEY
Isaiah 50:10 "Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice (his counsel from the word of God) of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God."
THOSE WHO DO NOT OBEY
Isaiah 50:11 "Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire (your own counsel), and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine (God's) hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow."
THE COUNSEL OF HIS SERVANT
Isaiah 51:1 "Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD . . ."
Isaiah 51:4 "Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation . . ."
Isaiah 51:7 "Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law.."
Proverbs 28:26 "He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered."
JAHAZIEL COUNSELED . . .
2 Chronicles 20:15-16 "And he said (by the spirit of the Lord, v.14), Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you (God's counsel), Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's. 16. To morrow go ye down against them: behold, they come up by the cliff of Ziz; and ye shall find them at the end of the brook, before the wilderness of Jeruel."
2 Chronicles 20:20 "And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper."
2 Chronicles 20:25 "And when Jehoshaphat and his people came to take away the spoil of them, they found among them in abundance both riches with the dead bodies, and precious jewels, which they stripped off for themselves, more than they could carry away: and they were three days in gathering of the spoil, it was so much."
ISAIAH'S COUNSEL . . .
Isaiah 50:7 "For the Lord GOD will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded (confused): therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed."