NOT FAITH ALONE
Sunday Morning: 16, 2001
Text: Hebrews 11:1-2 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2. For by it the elders obtained a good report."
Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
Hebrews 10:38 "Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him."
2 Corinthians 13:5 "Examine [present active] yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove [present active] your own selves. Know [epiginwskw, present active] ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates [adokimov, disapproved]?"
1 Corinthians 13:2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."
Galatians 5:6 "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."
1 Thessalonians 5:8 "But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation."
2 John 1:6 "And this is love, that we walk after [according to] his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it."
John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
James 2:14-17 "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? 15. If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16. And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? 17. Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."
1 John 3:14-15 "We know that we have passed from [the] death [thanatos] unto life [verse 15, agelasting life], because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. 15. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal [agelasting, kingdom age] life abiding in him."
1 Corinthians 2:9 "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him."
James 1:12 "Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried [approved], he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him."
James 2:5 "Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?"
1 Thessalonians 1:3 "Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;"
2 Thessalonians 1:3 "We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth;"
Ephesians 1:13-18 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye [saints and faithful in Christ, v.1] heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of [the] promise,
14. Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16. Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17. That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge [epignwsiv, knowledge upon knowledge] of him:
HOPE OF HIS CALLING
18. The eyes of your understanding [heart] being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,"
Colossians 1:2-5 "To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
4. Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints (brethren),
5. For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;"
Colossians 1:9-13 "For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge [epignwisiv, knowledge upon knowledge] of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10. That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge [epignwisiv, knowledge upon knowledge] of God;
11. Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
12. Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet (to enable) to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints (and faithful brethren, v.2) in light:
KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
13. Who (the Father) hath delivered us (saints and faithful brethren, v.2) from the power of darkness, and hath translated us (saints and faithful brethren, v.2) into the kingdom of his dear Son:"
Colossians 1:22-23 "In the body of his flesh through [the] death [thanatos, demotion], to present you holy (sanctified) and unblameable (justified) and unreproveable in his sight:
23. If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;"
CHRIST IN YOU BY FAITH
Colossians 1:27 "To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"
Ephesians 3:17 "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,"
Acts 14:22 "Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God."