Sunday Morning - May 18, 1997
Text: John 20:9 "For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead."
HE IS RISEN
Matthew 28:6-7 "He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
7. And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you."
1 Corinthians 15:17-19 "And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
Saved, but you can't please God
SAVED, BUT SERVANTS TO THE POWER OF SIN.
18. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19. If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."
Saved, but in this life , miserable
Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law (only): for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."
Acts 13:30-33 "But God raised him from the dead:
31. And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.
32. And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
1 John 2:25 "And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life."
RESURRECTION A NEW BEGINNING
33. God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee."
WE HAVE A DAYSMAN
Job 9:33 "Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both." An umpire or arbiter or judge.
Job 9:2 "I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just [clear himself] with God?"
Job 13:3 "Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God."
Job 16:21 "O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man pleadeth for his neighbour!"
1 John 2:1 "...And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:"
TOUCHED BY OUR WEAKNESSESS
Hebrews 4:15 "For we have not an high priest which can-not be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
AT THE RIGHT HAND
Hebrews 8:1 "Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;"
Romans 8:33-34 "Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth [present active participle].
RATHER, THAT IS RISEN AGAIN
34. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us."
RAISED AGAIN FOR OUR JUSTIFICATION
Romans 4:25 "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification."
Hebrews 5:5-6 "So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. 6. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."
HIGH PRIEST OF GOOD THINGS TO COME
Hebrews 9:11 "But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;"
HAVING AN HIGH PRIEST
Hebrews 10:19-22 "Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20. By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21. And having an high priest over the house of God; 22. Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, ..." faith is not vain
1 Peter 1:3-4 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4. To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,"
5. Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."
WITHOUT RESURRECTION, NO HOPE OF GLORY
1 Peter 1:21 "Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God."
WITHOUT RESURRECTION, NO HOPE
Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;"
WITHOUT THE RESURRECTION, NO ENDURANCE
Galatians 6:8-9 "... he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. 9. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Philippians 3:10 "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;"
VICTORY: 1 Corinthians 15:57-58 "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."
PLEASE HIM: Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
PERFECTED THROUGH THE BLOOD
Hebrews 13:20-21 "Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
THROUGH JESUS CHRIST
21. Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."
Philippians 2:13 "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."