Sunday Morning - June 29, 1997
Text: Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
Romans 15:4 "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort [exhortation] of the scriptures might have hope."
Genesis 1:21 "And God created great whales, and every living creature [nephesh, also v. 24] that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good."
Genesis 2:7 "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground [body], and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life [neshamah, spirit]; and man became a living soul [nephesh, soul, life]."
Leviticus 17:11 "For the life [nephesh, soul] of the flesh is in the blood: &ldots;"
Joshua 11:11 "And they smote all the souls [nephesh] that were therein with the edge of the sword, utterly destroying them: there was not any left to breathe [neshamah]: and he burnt Hazor with fire."
Joshua 11:14 "And all the spoil of these cities, and the cattle, the children of Israel took for a prey unto themselves; but every man they smote with the edge of the sword, until they had destroyed them, neither left they any to breathe [neshamah]."
Luke 23:55 "And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid."
Luke 23:43 "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."
Luke 23:46 "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."
Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul [yuch] and spirit [pneuma], and of the joints and marrow [flesh], and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Genesis 2:17 "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
Genesis 3:6 "&ldots; she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."
Genesis 5:5 "And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died."
Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man [Adam] sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"
Ephesians 2:1 "And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins:"
Genesis 3:21 "Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them."
Acts 16:30-31 "And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31. And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
1 Corinthians 15:42 "So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:"
1 Corinthians 15:44 "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body."
James 1:21 "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls."
Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."
Matthew 22:37 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."
Luke 12:19 "And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry."
Hebrews 12:3 "For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds [souls]."
1 Thessalonians 5:23 "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit [pneuma] and soul [yuch] and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Hebrews 10:35-39 "Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward.
36. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
37. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
38. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul [yuch, soul] shall have no pleasure in him.
39. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe [of faith] to the saving of the soul [yuch]."
1 Peter 1:6-9 "Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations [trials and testings]:
7. That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8. Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9. Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls."
Matthew 16:24-27 "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25. For whosoever will save his life [yuch>, soul] shall lose [ajpo>llumi, perish] it: and whosoever will lose [perish] his life [yuch>] for my sake shall find it.
26. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul [yuch>]? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul [yuch>]?
27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."
2 Corinthians 5:9-11 "Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
10. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
11. Knowing therefore the terror [fear] of the Lord, we persuade men; &ldots;"