Sunday Morning - October 26, 1997
Text: Genesis 12:1-3 "Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee: 2. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: 3. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed."
Genesis 15:5-7 "And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. 7. And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it." Genesis 15:18 "&ldots;from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:"
Genesis 22:17 "That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and &ldots; possess the gate of his enemies;"
1. Innocence (Gen. 1:28–3:6) Genesis 2:25 "And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed."
2. Conscience (Gen. 4:1-8:14) Genesis 3:7 "...they knew that they were naked; and they &ldots; made &ldots;aprons."
Romans 2:14-15 "For when the Gentiles, &ldots;do by nature the things contained in the law, &ldots; 15. Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, &ldots;"
3. Human Government (Gen. 8:15–11:9) Genesis 9:6 "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed&ldots;"
Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God."
4. The Blessing and Promise (Gen. 11:10; Ex. 18:27) Genesis 12:1 "&ldots;Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee:"
Galatians 3:14 "That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."
5. Law (Ex. 19; Acts 1:26) Hebrews 10:1 "For the law having a shadow of good things to come, &ldots;"
Romans 3:31 "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."
6. Faith and Church (Acts 2:1; Rev. 3:22) Hebrews 9:11 "But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come&ldots;"
Galatians 3:23 "But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed."
7. Kingdom (Rev. 4:1 - 20:15) Revelation 11:15 "And the seventh angel sounded; &ldots; The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord&ldots;he shall reign for ever and ever."
Hebrews 11:10 "For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God."
Nehemiah 9:7 "Thou art the LORD the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees.."
Acts 7:2 "&ldots;The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran,"
1 Chronicles 1:24-28 "Shem*, Arphaxad*, Shelah*, 25. Eber, Peleg, Reu, 26. Serug, Nahor*, Terah, 27. Abram; the same is Abraham. 28. The sons of Abraham; Isaac, and Ishmael."
* These were living when Abraham left for Canaan. Shem died when Abraham married Keturah
Genesis 9:26 "&ldots;Blessed be the LORD God of Shem&ldots;"
Genesis 28:4 "And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham."
Genesis 27:29 "Let people serve thee [Jacob the last], and nations bow down to thee: be lord over thy brethren, and let thy mother's sons bow down to thee: cursed be every one that curseth thee, and blessed be he that blesseth thee."
Genesis 27:37 "And Isaac &ldots;said unto Esau, Behold, I have made him (Jacob) thy lord, and all his brethren have I given to him for servants; &ldots;"
Hebrews 11:12-13 "Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.
13. These [cloud of witnesses] all died in faith, not having received the promises [earthly inheritance or heavenly inheritance], but having seen them [the good land (Nu. 3:8) and better inheritance (1 Pet. 1:4)] afar off, and &ldots; confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
Hebrews 11:16 "But now they desire
&ldots;that is, an heavenly: &ldots;wherefore God is not ashamed
to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city."
Galatians 3:13-14 "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14. That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith."
Galatians 3:17-18 "And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. 18. For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise."
Galatians 3:21-23 "Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
LAW BROUGHT US TO FAITH
Galatians 3:24-25 "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."
22. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed."
FAITH RECKONED TO ABRAHAM
Romans 4:9 "Cometh this blessedness then upon the cir-cumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness."
Romans 4:11 "And he [Abraham] received the sign of circum-cision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:"
Galatians 3:7 "Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham."