Sunday Morning - April 26, 1998
Text: Genesis 21:9-13 "And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking. [laughing at him]
10. Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
11. And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.
12. And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
13. And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed."
Galatians 4:24 "Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; ..."
1. Hagar - A Bondwoman - Bondage
2. Sarah - A Freewoman - Liberty
1. Ishmael - The First to be born who became Last
2. Isaac - The Last to be born who became First.
Matthew 20:16 "So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen."
Galatians 4:24 "Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar."
1. Mount Sinai - In the Wilderness in type - Earthly
Galatians 4:25 "For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children."
Galatians 3:12 "And the law is not of faith:..."
2. Jerusalem - In the Land in type - Heavenly
Galatians 4:26 "But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all."
Galatians 3:12 "And the law is not of faith:..."
1. Wilderness - Bottle of water and bread
Genesis 21:14 "And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, ..." They had to split the inheritance
Genesis 21:20 "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer."
Ezekiel 37:12 "Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel."
IN THE LAND
2. In The Land - Very Rich in cattle, silver, and gold
Genesis 13:2 "And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold."
Genesis 35:27 "...Mamre, ... which is Hebron, where Abraham and Isaac sojourned."
1 Peter 1:4-5 "To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5. Who are kept by the power of God through faith ...."
DO YOU HEAR THE LAW
Galatians 4:21-22 "Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 22. "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman."
Galatians 5:1 "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."
THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS
Matthew 22:37-40 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38. This is the first and great commandment. 39. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
COMMANDMENTS AND FAITH
Galatians 3:11-12 "But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them."
YOU KNOW THE COMMANDMENTS
Luke 18:18-22 "And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 19. And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God. 20. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother. 21. And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up. 22. Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, [faith] and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me."
COMMANDMENTS AND THE FAITH
Revelation 14:12 "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus."
THE LAW IS GOOD
1 Timothy 1:8-10 "But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9. Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10. For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;"
DUTY OF MAN
Ecclesiastes 12:13 "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."
CONSEQUENCES OF DUTY
Luke 17:10 "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."
MORE THAN OUR DUTY
Romans 12:11-19 "Not slothful in business [diligence]; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12. Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13. Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14. Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. "
ADD TO YOUR FAITH
2 Peter 1:5-7 "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity."